United Methodist Women (UMW)
United Methodist Women
United Methodist Women (UMW) is an active organization that is recognized in the Church Discipline. Each United Methodist Church is encouraged to have a Unit. The purpose of the UMW is stated in The Book of Discipline:"The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church" (P255.4)
Emphasis on mission is the primary focus of UMW. Our programs concern mission to women, children and youth; throughout this country and around the world. There are no "dues". However, each woman contributes in what ever way she is able toward the mission emphases. The Unit at the Lebanon church is small but active. Any woman can be a member, even if she is not a member of the Church. We usually meet once a month, contact the church office for an updated schedule. Each meeting has a program relating to some mission project of UMW as well as conducting business.
For more information about UMW, contact Sharon P. at 603-863-7348.
UMW Meetings and Service
**Due to COVID these events are postponed**
- Saturday, December 1, 9am-2pm--Holiday Bazaar at LUMC. Plan to help Linda K on Thursday and Friday and Saturday.
- Wed, December 12, noon--Christmas Potluck Luncheon at Cally Lavigne's, 4 White Ave, West Lebanon. Bring a dish to share and a wrapped Yankee Swap gift.
- Saturday, January 12, 11am--Help Cally put on the SALT luncheon for our School Street Neighbors. Bring food and helping hands.
- Friday, February 22, 3:30pm--Help Dianne Allard Langley and others prepare LISTEN Dinner in White River Junction. Bring helping hands and stay for the meal to interact with LISTEN clients.
- Sunday, March 17, after worship--Dip Dinner for Local Charities. Our fund-raiser for local missions. Bring food and helping hands.
UMW Reading Book Lists: click here
UMW Members serving God in and for LUMC ministries in the following ways:
Ruthie accompanies Pastor Bae to homes of shut-ins and helps with communion there. She knits prayer shawls and other items to give away with love.
Martha sends cards to our church members and is our UMW secretary. She also helps at coffee hour.
Tina visits friends and family in nursing homes and uses our year old Prayer Calendar to pray daily for missionaries worldwide. She frequently does coffee hour and gets the church recyclables to the bin each week.
Jane attends prayer breakfasts twice a month, helps at coffee hours and sends cards to church members. She is also a member of the prayer shawl group.
Jodi A is the church photographer and keeps the church members connected to happenings at the church by posting her photos on the bulletin boards monthly and then puts them in an annual memory book to perseve them for future generations. She is also Communications Coordinator for the NH District UMW and creates a bi-annual newsletter, Northern Lights, that is sent to UMW members throughout the state. A member of the United Valley Interfaith Project, Jodi is activity involved in the current UVIP Campaign: Aging with Dignity.